I checked to see if I had the opening and the closing tags correct. Upon further investigation, I found that this was due to my using the “short tag” for PHP in the html_functions.php file. I normally use “” to close my PHP statements, but in this particular file, I had missed on the “php” and had accidentally used “<?" to open a statement.
As it is evident from the image, I use XAMPP to host test applications, when developing on Windows. To find more about this setting I did some reading on a specific setting in php.ini called “short_open_tag”. I opened the php.ini inside “c:\xampp\php\php.ini” – which is the default location for XAMPP, and searched for the “short_open_tag” setting. This specific setting was set to “off”, so the quickfix was to merely change the setting to “on”, restarting Apache and reloading the page. The setting in the php.ini finally looked like this:
short_open_tag = On
The following paragraph explains the setting better, taken from the php.ini file.
This directive determines whether or not PHP will recognize code between tags as PHP source which should be processed as such. It’s been recommended for several years that you not use the short tag “short cut” and instead to use the full tag combination. With the wide spread use of XML and use of these tags by other languages, the server can become easily confused and end up parsing the wrong code in the wrong context. But because this short cut has been a feature for such a long time, it’s currently still supported for backwards compatibility, but we recommend you don’t use them.
Default Value: On
Development Value: Off
Production Value: Off
Problem solved, I spent the rest of the time I had on some fancy GUI and cookie monsters 😀